Coach Accommodation Specialists

Hosts Uralla Historical Society Inc
Address Salisbury Street
Phone (02) 6778 3022
Brochure Click to download


Contact Name Anne Mayo l
Opening Times/
Days Closed
OPEN EVERY DAY – 10.00am – 5.00pm including Christmas Day! Other times by appointment

Group cost

Admission Adults $7.00 Concession $5.00 Children $3.00 Family $15.00
Guided Tour $3.00 per person - Thunderbolt Paintings Talk - a series of 9 large paintings)
museum back garden chaff gallery garden1 indigenous collection1 industrial baner kitchen

Attractions Outline

McCrossin’s Mill is described as an “unusual” museum, “unlike any other” and is regarded as one of the most fascinating and progressive regional museums in NSW. It has empathic, punchy exhibitions, some of National significance, superbly resotred buildings and magical gardens. Built in 1870, McCrossin's Mill is a lovingly restored three storey flour mill which now houses a multi-award winning museum, gallery and function centre. Many locals once believed the "Old Mill" to be haunted. Now it is hauntingly beautiful. Occupying the ground floor, a series of nine paintings by artist Phillip Pomeroy depict the fatal events of 25th May 1870, when Constable Alexander Walker brought an end to the reign of gentleman bushranger, Captain Thunderbolt. Upstairs, the museum is renowned for its empathic, humorous and even bizarre exhibitions. Its collection of Chinese artefacts from the Rocky River goldfields is recognised as being of national significance. Other exhibitions include "The Life and Legend of Thunderbolt"; "A Red Rose... Corporal Cecil Stoker's Story"; and "Trickett's Triumph", Australia's first World Champion sportsman.

Refreshments & costs

Morning/Afternoon Tea $6.00 per person l devonshire with tea or coffee or cake/slice with tea or coffee
Lunch $14.00 per person approximately
Seating Capacity Inside: 80; Outside: 80
Tour/visit time allocation 3 hours includes Painting Talk and a light lunch


Toilets Yes
Disabled access Yes
Booking notice required Yes
Coach parking / turning Yes

Additional Information

The Museum is about 100metres from the New England Highway on a sealed road and is situated in the township of Uralla, approximately 24kms south of Armidale and 80kms north of Tamworth.

There is so much to see and do in Uralla: Uralla’s delightful main street; New England Brewing Company; Top Pub Uralla; The Wool Room Uralla, Uralla’s Heritage Walk; New England National Park; Waterfalla; Wineries; Sunhill Goats Uralla